WOHS Publications

The Student News Site of West Orange High School

WOHS Publications

WOHS Publications

College Applications Guideline

Q&A with Mrs. Maroth

What are the biggest mistakes that you observe during the college application process?

A major mistake is students thinking the college application process begins their senior year, it doesn’t. It begins the moment you take your first class for high school credit. Other common mistakes are students only applying to one or two colleges, only applying to in-state schools (some out of state schools give crazy financial aid!) and procrastinating on their personal statement essay or treating it like a traditional five paragraph english essay, that is NOT what the application essay is! (Hint: Check out  TheCollegeEssayGuy.com for a free guide to the personal statement!)

How many colleges should I apply to?

As a general rule, six to eight colleges is a good target; two match schools, two safety schools, two reach schools and two just for fun. Remember, students who qualify for fee waivers based on income can apply for free. Students interested in applying to HBCU’s should consider using the Common Black College Application; you can apply to over 65 HBCU’s for just $20.

Should students apply for early decision 

Early Decision is a legally binding admissions decision, meaning if you apply and are accepted for Early Decision, you are committed to going to that school and you must withdraw all other applications. Students should only apply to ONE college for ED and it should be their first-choice school. On the other hand, Early Action decisions are highly advantageous for students, and if a college offers Early Action, (hint: like FSU’s October 15th EA deadline). Seniors should definitely take advantage of that opportunity as it significantly increases the chance you will be admitted! You can apply to as many EA schools as you like.

What things do colleges look for when you apply 

College admissions counselors have shared they are looking for well-rounded students who are an academic fit for their school. Depth over breadth is a good strategy. Meaning a student has three to five consistent activities/clubs, sports, or volunteering during high school with a few of those hopefully including some kind of leadership experience. Students don’t need to join 10 clubs and play multiple sports; what colleges really want to see is consistency and commitment over time. This helps them predict the kind of student involvement they can expect from you on their campus.

What can you do to help students during the college application process

Seniors in the application process can use the College + Career Center for all kinds of support, including guiding you through the CommonApp, exploring colleges you might be a good fit for, completing the SSAR or SPARK (for UCF only), essay review and editing and helping with scholarship applications.