WOHS Publications

The Student News Site of West Orange High School

WOHS Publications

WOHS Publications

From Stage to State

The Theatre Program Attends State and Receives Many Top Honors

On Mar 13, 2024, the WOHS theatre department participated in The Florida State Thespian Accolades. They brought their one act called Anatomy of Gray that was previously shown at West Orange, as there were as many other things entered into the state including some but not all of Costume construction, and Duet Musical.

Anatomy of Gray- One-act play with top honors and a perfect score. On My Way- Large group musical district 5 showcase representative. Costume Construction- Jackson Brown Superior rating. Duet Musical- Ellie M. and Delany G. Superior rating. Ensemble Acting- “Noises Off” Superior rating. Contrasting Monologue- Maxene Davis Excellent rating.

Q: Who is the Theatre student leadership?

A: The Student Leadership includes: Kallyn Maday- President, Maxene Davis, and Ellie Meurer- Vice Presidents, Carson Sturgis-Secretary, Rachel Robinson- Facilities Coordinator, Gavin Peterson-Treasurer, Nolan Chillinsky- Historian, and Gabby Bull-Marketing.

Q: Who are the Threatre’s teacher sponsors?

A: Ms. Whitman and Tech Director Ms. Blue.

Q: What did you have to do in this competition? 

A:  At the Florida State Thespian Festival we showcased our top events from our district! Our one act had gotten a perfect score at our District 5 competition before the state, we had many amazing Thespy events that got to be performed. Everyone did amazing throughout the entire festival! We also brought our large group  “On My Way” from the musical Violet; which one best in a show at districts and was performed for the entire festival at the opening ceremonies. The festival as a whole isn’t necessarily a competition but more of a celebration showcasing the incredible work that thespians have done. So during our time at the festival, we had to perform our one act, participate in as many workshops as possible, try new things, and have fun.

Q: How did you prepare for this competition?

A: Well we performed Anatomy of Gray once at school then reworked it, and fine-tuned it, but we have been practicing the one act since October. Many of the Monologues and Acting we have been practicing throughout the year.

Q: Has West Orange won State for Theatre before?

A: Yes, the theatre department has won the state, We won 4 main stages, and won 5 one acts.