WOHS Publications

The Student News Site of West Orange High School

WOHS Publications

WOHS Publications

Gearing Up for Homecoming

How to Prepare to Have the Best Homecoming Possible
TK Photography

From dressing up at school according to daily themes to parading through downtown Winter Garden along the beat of the marching band’s music to gathering on the gym bleachers awaiting your turn at playing in pep rally activities to sitting in the stands cheering on your football team against your rivals, there’s a week’s worth of events leading up to the first big bash of the school year to participate in. Of course, in between partaking in these homecoming festivities, you will be prepping for the special night, and according to expert opinion (A.K.A. past homecoming attendees) there are several tips one should abide by to have the perfect experience.

“Buying your outfit in person is the safest option. I bought my dress online last year and while it wasn’t too bad, I didn’t love it. By the time it came, it was too late to change plans,” said Katie Kojic, 12.

With so many online fashion boutiques, purchasing homecoming attire through a website is generally the route people go. However, as Kojic suggests, there is a risk in buying an outfit without trying it on. If you’re interested in getting your wardrobe locally, shops like Gatorlillys of Winter Garden, Apricot Lane Boutique, and Jim’s Formal Wear offer an abundance of pieces to choose from. Beyond the fashion, homecoming prep also entails planning your day down to a T.

“The process of getting ready on the day of homecoming can be a lot. For me at least, I get ready at a friend’s house, and bring my makeup bag, hair products, and outfit,” said Megan Hamlin, 11.

Setting aside several hours to get ready for the big dance is always a good idea. As a tip, to save yourself both time and effort, make sure to try on your homecoming look before the actual day. This can mean experimenting with how you want to do your makeup, testing out how you want to style your hair, and doing a fitting for both your outfit and accessories a couple of days before the dance. To ensure the rest of your night is smooth sailing, you should also do further planning on other matters.
“Knowing what you are doing on the day of homecoming is important. You should have a ride to and from homecoming planned, and go with friends you trust,” said Ryan Saba, 12.

Outlining the entire day in advance is crucial for a great night. If you plan to go out to dinner, have a reservation. A few popular restaurants to dine at before the dance that is both local and not too costly include Chili’s, Macaroni Grill, and Unos. If you plan to take photos before the dance, find a place to go to (it is also important to make sure taking photos is permitted in the spot you’re seeking out). Some local locations where people choose to have their photoshoots include Windermere Town Hall and Bella Collina.

While homecoming preparations may be longer than the dance itself, having every detail according to plan will likely make your homecoming experience a success. By planning, you can avoid worrying about what you plan to eat, where you plan to take photos, when you plan to head to the dance, and how you’re even getting there. Instead, you can focus all of your attention on your friends and the dance floor.