WOHS Publications

The Student News Site of West Orange High School

WOHS Publications

WOHS Publications

Unwritten Rules of High School

The Rules You Need to Survive High School
Jayleen Valdez

Being a high school student is already hard enough, so for a new student, it can be very nerve-racking. Not knowing the unspoken rules or how to navigate throughout high school can make it even harder. In the movies high school students are getting pushed into lockers, getting name called and heavily divided into cliques. But in reality, high school is nothing like that. 

Many students are in many different groups at schools so they are not just restricted to one “clique”. Many students are athletes who are also in band and theater. In the movies that would have been unheard of, but thankfully reality is nothing like the movies.

If the movies and shows are portraying high school wrong, how could a person prepare themselves for school? To better help prepare students here are 12 top unwritten rules of high school.

1. Don’t change your seat after three days of being in that class
  2. Don’t run to class
  3. Don’t skip the lunch line
  4. If you are slowly walking, stick to the right or left of the hallway, not the middle
  5. Don’t stand with your friends in the middle of the hallway, move to the side
  6. Don’t park in someone else spot
  7. In the lunchroom, if you see a backpack on a seat, the seat is taken
  8. If you are playing music, use headphones
  9. Spit your gum in the trash
  10. Don’t be the PDA hallway couple 
  11. Don’t walk slowly up the stairs 
  12. Don’t stand at the top of the stairs

If you want to survive high school remember these rules as you walk through the halls.