WOHS Publications

The Student News Site of West Orange High School

WOHS Publications

WOHS Publications

Engineering a Carnival

Students Design and Build Carnival Games
Lauryn Nguyen

Every year Ms. Long’s engineering classes design a fully functional carnival game. This year there were many creative and detailed games that the students created.                                                     

The Galactic Roller:

This game consisted of a rotating maze; as you brought the ball toward the middle, you could take it out. It worked by putting motors on the back and using button switches on the back of the maze to move it back and forth.

The game was created by Alexander Silcock,12, and his group consisting of five people in different class periods. The theme of this game was space as it took them to create and to design this for 3 weeks.

Silcock has been in Ms. Longs’s class since freshman year.

“This is my third year of participating in the carnival as my games have gotten better as no one played my game last year and people this year like my game,” Silcock said.

Walle’s Environmental Clean Up:

Based on the movie Walle this game entailed the robot cleaning up the trash and putting it into the rocket to make the earth a greener place. It worked by putting tracks on the ground instead of wheels and cardboard representing the trash.

It took the team of Maxene Davis, Alex, Sydney, April, Hannah, Esmeralda, and Avery a week to finish this game. They all agree that the best feature of this game is Walle the robot as it has the same likeness as Walle from the movie.

Maxene Davis,12 said, “The message of this carnival game is peace and love, and to keep our oceans clean”.

Barbie’s Wild Ride:

A car game based on the 2023 Barbie movie. The concept of the game was to save the Barbie world from the Ken’s.

When playing you had to disarm the Kens that have taken over Barbie World and the goal is to save Barbie World as you lightly touch the Ken to get to the Mojo Dojo Casa House and save Barbie World.

It took the group one and a half weeks to create this, as the group consisted of Dylan, Jayden, and Mackenzie. The group said their favorite parts of the game were the palm trees, the cars, and of course Ryan Gosling.

Cars:

This game was based on the game Rocket League and the childhood movie Cars. This took a total of two weeks to design and create this game.

This game required you to use the cars to move the ball into the goal, the same concept as Rocket League.

“My favorite part of this game is the cars-themed music that was slicked and the Car’s Piston Cup was that was 3D printed and painted,” Avery Hanebrink, 12 said.

The Game of Battleship:

A canon and island defense game that has a point system, as it starts with the island being one point and the pirate ship being max points and you try to shoot it into a grind. You play by hitting a trash can to shoot the ball onto the island grind.

The materials used to create this was trash cans, paper, tape, and too much cardboard, As the group said they used an unhealthy amount of tape and cardboard.

All and all the students in Ms. Long’s class created amazing carnival games that were very much enjoyed.